Roofing installations and replacements may seem intimidating at first — especially if you have little to no knowledge about roofs. After all, the roof is an important element of your Burr Ridge home, so your roofing choice can have a huge impact.
Asphalt shingle roofing in Burr Ridge is one of the most popular roofing materials. If you’re trying to decide whether to install one for your home, then you’ve come to the right place. This roofing company in Burr Ridge, Illinois is going to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of asphalt shingle roofing below.
What are asphalt shingles?
Asphalt shingles are made from an asphalt-saturated fiberglass base. It can also be composed of an organic material that has been covered in asphalt on both sides. The top coating is a mixture of quartz, ceramic, slate, schist, mica, or stone, while the back is covered with talc or sand, which holds the shingles together.
There are various types of asphalt shingles and composition shingles available in the market. It comes in different colors, styles, and shapes. You’ve probably seen them installed all throughout your Burr Ridge, Illinois neighborhood. The most common type is called “three-tab” because of the cut of the shingle and the way it’s installed.
So, what makes asphalt shingles a good choice for your Burr Ridge, Illinois home, and why do most homeowners prefer them?
- Affordability — If you’re working on a tight budget, asphalt shingles are a great choice. This roofing material offers great value despite being one of the most affordable roofing options.
- Durability — High-quality asphalt shingles can last for over 50 years, which is more than the lifespan of traditional wood shingles.
- Easy to install — Most roofers prefer working with this roofing material. It is lightweight and simple to install.
- Waterproof — Asphalt is known to have extremely favorable waterproofing qualities. Aside from withstanding the heat from the sun, it can also tolerate rain, snow, and ice.
- Fire-resistant — If your roof catches on fire, high-quality asphalt shingles can stay intact for at least 2 hours.
- Easy replacement and repair — regular maintenance is important for the longevity of your roof. Fortunately, it’s easy to replace damaged and old asphalt shingles.
Of course, asphalt shingles have drawbacks like other types. Here are some of them:
- Metal has a longer lifespan — Although asphalt shingles can go from 20 to 50 years, a metal roof can remain intact for up to 70 years. The longevity of your asphalt shingles also depends on the grade of materials you’re choosing.
- High-maintenance — Having shingle roofs mean that regular inspection needs to be done yearly. The newly installed roof can skip the inspection and do it only every three years. But for safety and protection, it is advisable to contact roofers for a tune-up.
- Vulnerable to compounds — Asphalt is a tough material, but it has vulnerabilities too. Exposure to moss, mildew, pollution, and mold can lead to breakage and compromise the quality of the asphalt shingle.
Looking for the Top-Rated Roofing Company in Burr Ridge, Illinois?
Asphalt shingle roofing is a great choice for Burr Ridge homeowners that need to replace their roof. You don’t need to spend a fortune to have one installed, and they can be installed relatively quickly as well.
Ready to install an asphalt shingle roof? Looking for the top-rated roofing company in Burr Ridge, Illinois? If so, look no further than Prusak Roofing. Contact us today at (708) 422-2624 to request a free quote.