Dealing with roofing issues can be stressful for a homeowner. With that said, it’s important not to panic when you notice a problem with your roof — instead, you should contact your local roofing contractor right away to inspect your roof.
Regardless of whether you need a roof repair or replacement, it all starts with an inspection. A roof inspection is when a roofing contractor examines the overall condition of your roof to determine the best course of action going forward.
Here are some of the main things that a roof repair company in Wheaton, Illinois will check during a roofing inspection:
- Attic ventilation: When a roofing contractor arrives at your Wheaton home, the first thing they inspect is your attic. They look up there to make sure your attic is well ventilated so it can breathe. Your roof will suffer if your attic is not well ventilated. The trapped hot air will drastically reduce the life of your roof. The importance of proper attic ventilation to your roof investment cannot be overstated.
- Roof shingles: Proper roof installation is the second most important aspect of your roof investment, behind proper attic ventilation. If your shingles are not correctly installed, they will not last as long as they should. Your roofing contractor will look for nails that have not been driven in far enough or driven in sideways, causing small random bumps in your roof. They will also notice visible indicators of a roof replacement, such as shingles that are missing, loose, buckling, curling, or blistering.
- Water spots on the ceiling: Your Wheaton roof repair company will look for any leaks leaving water spots on your ceiling. Once they have confirmed that you have a leak, they will investigate the cause. When they find it, they will repair it — or, if the damage is severe, they will recommend a replacement.
- Layers of shingles: When your Wheaton, Illinois roof repair company arrives, they will inspect your roof to determine the layers of shingles. If the condition is deemed severe enough to necessitate a roof replacement, your roof and any additional layers will be removed. If there are multiple layers, your roof replacement estimate will include the number of layers that must be removed.
- Roof decking: When the roofing contractor gets on your roof, they will look at the decking. They will see if it is bouncy/spongy or solid by walking on it. They will also ensure that the nails are still tightly screwed. Be aware that the roofer may not always be able to tell if your decking is in good condition simply by walking on it. Often, they must inspect the condition of the roof decking after the shingles have been removed. If the structural integrity of your decking is damaged, your local roofing company in Wheaton will repair that section of decking during the replacement.
- Roof penetrations: A roof penetration is anything that protrudes through your roof. When the roofing contractor inspects your roof, they will check all the penetrations — including, if you have them, skylights — to ensure that they are not leaking.
- Roof flashing: The contractor will inspect all your roof flashing during the roof inspection. Roof flashing is a thin metal material that’s installed everywhere there’s a contact point with your shingles, such as walls, chimneys, or roof valleys. They will ensure it is not rusted and that the metal’s integrity is strong enough to withstand the elements and keep your Wheaton home dry.
- Gutters: Any knowledgeable roofing repair company in Wheaton, Illinois will inspect gutters and downspouts for integrity, looking for cracks or open seams. They will also look for any obstructions or restricted flow and any standing water.
Looking for a Professional Roof Repair Company in Wheaton, Illinois?
Are you dealing with issues with your roof? If you’re ready to schedule an inspection with a professional roof repair company in Wheaton, Illinois, Prusak Roofing Inc. is the company to call. Contact us today at (708) 422-2624 to schedule a roofing inspection.